Traffic Modifications for Artscape 2016
Friday Jul 8th, 2016
Traffic Modifications for Artscape 2016
The Baltimore City Department of Transportation would like to advise motorists of the street closures and parking restrictions in effect for Artscape 2016, Baltimore’s annual celebration of the arts. The event will take place in the vicinity of the Maryland Institute College of Art along Mount Royal Avenue on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, July 15 – 17, 2016.
With over 350,000 people expected to attend, patrons are strongly encouraged to use public transportation, including mass transit, the light rail, park & ride facilities and the Charm City Circulator. The Mount Royal Light Rail stop is located in the heart of the festival and will operate with extended hours throughout the weekend.
In preparation for the event, a variety of traffic modifications will be implemented in the vicinity of the festival. Parking will also be restricted within the festival area. Motorists should be aware that residential permit parking regulations will be strictly enforced.
The following street will be closed starting at 7:00 a.m. on Monday, July 11, 2016 and will remain closed until 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 19, 2016:
- Dolphin Street from Mount Royal Avenue to N. Howard Street
The following streets will be closed at 7:00 a.m. on Monday, July 11, 2016 through 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, July 19, 2016:
- Mt. Royal Avenue between W. North Avenue and N. Charles Street
- Cathedral Street between W. Biddle Street and Mount Royal Avenue (Meyerhoff garage access will be permitted)
- W. Preston Street between Cathedral and N. Howard Streets
- W. Oliver Street between Maryland and Mt. Royal Avenues (local garage and post office access will be permitted)
- W. Lanvale Street between Mt. Royal Avenue and Rutter Street
- W. Lafayette Avenue between Mt. Royal Avenue and Rutter Street
- South side of Mt. Royal Avenue (curb lane only) between Charles and St. Paul Streets
The following street will be closed at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, July 15, 2016 through 6:00 a.m. on Monday, July 18, 2016:
- Both sides of W. Preston Street between Maryland Avenue and Cathedral Street (local traffic only and access to garage permitted)
The following streets will be closed at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, July 14, 2016 through 6:00 a.m. Monday, July 18, 2016:
- North Charles Street between W. Preston Street and North Avenue. The I-83 ENTRANCE RAMP WILL CLOSE AT THIS TIME. Local access will be maintained between Biddle and Preston Streets.
- North side of Preston Street (curb lane only) between Charles and Lovegrove Streets
- North side of Mt. Royal Avenue between St. Paul and N. Charles Streets. The I-83 EXIT RAMP TO MT. ROYAL AVENUE WILL CLOSE AT THIS TIME.
- Lanvale Street between Maryland Avenue and Lovegrove Street
- W. Lafayette Avenue between N. Charles Street and Maryland Avenue
- E. Lafayette Avenue between St. Paul and N. Charles Streets. Local access to gas station and school will be maintained.
- Both sides of Mosher Street between Mt. Royal Avenue and Malster Street (Artscape permit parking only)
- Both sides of McMechen Street between Mt. Royal Avenue and Malster Street (Artscape permit parking only)
- Both sides of 1500 block of Malster Street (Artscape permit parking only)
- Both sides of 1300-1400 Dickson Street (Artscape permit parking only)
- Both sides of W. Lanvale Street between Mt. Royal Avenue and Rutter Street
The following streets will be closed at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, July 15, 2016 until 6:00 a.m. on Monday, July 18, 2016:
- Both sides of Maryland Avenue from North Avenue to Preston Street. Access to the garage will be maintained.
- Southbound Jones Falls Expressway ramp to Maryland Avenue will remain open during this time for garage traffic only.
- A temporary two-way traffic pattern will be installed along Maryland Avenue from Oliver Street to North Avenue. Northbound Maryland Avenue traffic must make a right turn at North Avenue.
- Intersection of Mt. Royal and Maryland Avenues
- Falls Road between W. Lafayette and Maryland Avenues
- A temporary two-way traffic pattern will be installed along W. Lafayette Avenue from Falls Road to Maryland Avenue to allow access to city yards and local businesses.
- Artscape Permit parking allowed on Biddle Street/Park Avenue behind Meyerhoff for festival food vendors
- Two-way traffic will be installed on Park Avenue (next to the Meyerhoff) from Cathedral Street to the Symphony Center garage for festival parking.
Special Penn Drive Traffic Chute:
Once Charles Street closes, a special traffic chute will be created using traffic cones during non-festival hours to allow vehicles from Penn Drive to gain access to the I-83 ramp. Right turns onto N. Charles Street will still be restricted during these times.
The special Penn Drive traffic chute will be open:
- Thursday, July 14 from 12:00 a.m. to Friday, July 15 at 8:00 a.m.
- Saturday, July 16 from 12:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Sunday, July 17 from 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Special Traffic Patterns:
Special one-way traffic patterns will be implemented along various roadways in the vicinity of the festival to provide local access for area residents throughout the event. Please note that on Sunday, July 17, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon, Maryland Avenue will be converted to a two-way traffic pattern from Preston Street to Mt. Royal Avenue for morning church services. Congregational members trying to access the church should follow St. Paul Street to Preston Street, then Maryland Avenue to the parking lot.
The Baltimore City Department of Transportation:
“Keeping Baltimore Moving Safely”