Traffic Modifications for the Kinetic Sculpture Race
Tuesday May 1st, 2018
The Baltimore City Department of Transportation would like to advise motorists of the traffic modifications that will be in effect for the 20th annual Kinetic Sculpture Race. The event will be held on Saturday, May 05, 2018 starting at 9:30 a.m.
The race will begin and end at the American Visionary Art Museum (AVAM) on Covington Street. Participants will run the 15-mile course through the Inner Harbor and surrounding neighborhoods at the approximate times listed below:
- 8:00 – 9:30am Safety check and brake test at American Visionary Art Museum
- 9:30 – 10:00 Opening Ceremonies & start from AVAM onto Key Highway
- 10:03 – 10:20 Climb Battery Avenue into Federal Hill Park
- 10:15 – 11:30 Race down Riverside, Fort, Lawrence, Key Highway past AVAM around the Inner Harbor, President Street to Katyn Circle to Fleet Street, Caroline, Aliceanna & Boston Street
- 11:15 – 1:15pm Splashdown at Canton Waterfront Park
- 1:00 – 1:30 Race up Kenwood, right on Eastern, left on Linwood and into Patterson Park
- 1:15 – 3:15 Patterson Park Obstacle Course
- 3:30 – 4:45 Race down Lombard, Central, Eastern, Pier 5, Pratt, Light, Key Highway, Lawrence, Fort, Jackson, Clement, and Covington to the finish line at AVAM (rapid racers may finish as early as 3:30)
- 4:00 – 6:00 Post-Race Recovery (dinner for racers & volunteers)
- 6:00 – 7:00 Awards Ceremony at AVAM
During the event, Covington Street will be closed to through traffic between Key Highway and Cross Street from 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. with parking restrictions in effect. In addition, one lane of travel will be coned off for participants wherever possible along the race route.
Motorists traveling in these areas should be advised that temporary traffic stops may be implemented during the event for the safety of participants. Commuters should be on the watch for pedestrians and are encouraged to use alternate routes.