Traffic Modifications for Artscape 2018
Friday Jul 13th, 2018
Traffic Modifications for Artscape 2018
The Baltimore City Department of Transportation would like to advise motorists of the street closures and parking restrictions in effect for Artscape 2018, Baltimore’s annual celebration of the arts. The event will take place in the vicinity of the Maryland Institute College of Art along Mount Royal Avenue on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, July 20 – 22, 2018.
With over 350,000 people expected to attend, patrons are strongly encouraged to use public transportation, including mass transit, the light rail, park & ride facilities and the Charm City Circulator. The Mount Royal Light Rail stop is located in the heart of the festival and is a convenient way to access the festivities.
In preparation for the event, a variety of traffic modifications will be implemented in the vicinity of the festival. Parking will also be restricted within the festival area. Motorists should be aware that residential permit parking regulations will be strictly enforced.
The following streets will be closed at 7:00 a.m. on Monday, July 16, 2018 through 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 24, 2018:
- Mt. Royal Avenue between W. North Avenue and St. Paul Street
- Cathedral Street between W. Biddle Street and Mount Royal Avenue (Meyerhoff garage access will be permitted)
- Dolphin Street between Howard Street and Mt. Royal Avenue
- W. Preston Street between Cathedral and N. Howard Streets
- W. Oliver Street between Maryland and Mt. Royal Avenues (local garage and post office access will be permitted)
- W. Lanvale Street between Mt. Royal Avenue and Rutter Street
- W. Lafayette Avenue between Mt. Royal Avenue and Rutter Street
- W. Preston Street between Maryland Avenue and Cathedral Street (garage access and Artscape permit parking permitted)
- McMechen, Malster and Dickson Streets will be closed behind MICA Bunting Center and Fox Building
The following streets will be closed at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, July 19, 2018 through 6:00 a.m. on Monday, July 23, 2018:
- North Charles Street between W. Preston Street and North Avenue. The I-83 ENTRANCE RAMP WILL CLOSE AT THIS TIME. Local access will be maintained between Biddle and Preston Streets.
- Lanvale Street between Maryland Avenue and Lovegrove Street (access to Amtrak parking remains open)
- E. Lafayette Avenue between St. Paul and N. Charles Streets. Local access to gas station and school will be maintained.
The following streets will be closed at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, July 20, 2018 until 6:00 a.m. on Monday, July 23, 2018:
- Maryland Avenue between North Avenue and Preston Street (access to the garage will be maintained. Local traffic should not proceed unless parking at the garage)
- Falls Road between W. Lafayette and Maryland Avenues
- Southbound Jones Falls Expressway ramp to Maryland Avenue
- A temporary two-way traffic pattern will be installed along Maryland Avenue from Oliver Street to North Avenue. Northbound Maryland Avenue traffic must make a right turn at North Avenue.
- Intersection of Mt. Royal and Maryland Avenues
- A temporary two-way traffic pattern will be installed along W. Lafayette Avenue from Falls Road to Maryland Avenue to allow access to city yards and local businesses.
- Two-way traffic will be installed on Park Avenue (next to the Meyerhoff) from Cathedral Street to the Symphony Center garage for festival parking.
Special Penn Drive Traffic Chute:
Once Charles Street closes, a special traffic chute will be created using traffic cones during non-festival hours to allow vehicles from Penn Drive to gain access to the I-83 ramp. Right turns onto N. Charles Street will still be restricted during these times. The special Penn Drive traffic chute will be open:
- Thursday, July 19 from 12:00 a.m. to Friday, July 20 at 8:00 a.m.
- Saturday, July 21 from 12:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Sunday, July 22 from 12:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Special Traffic Patterns:
Special one-way traffic patterns will be implemented along various roadways in the vicinity of the festival to provide local access for area residents throughout the event. Please note that on Sunday, July 22, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon, Maryland Avenue will be converted to a two-way traffic pattern from Preston Street to Mt. Royal Avenue for morning church services. Congregational members trying to access the church should follow St. Paul Street to Preston Street, then Maryland Avenue to the parking lot.
Cham City Circulator Purple Route Detour:
Starting on Thursday, July 19 and continuing through Sunday, July 22, 2018 modifications to the Charm City Circulator’s Purple Route will be in effect. After servicing stop #309 on Biddle Street, buses will detour:
- Right on Biddle Street
- Left on Calvert Street
- Left onto North Avenue
- Right on N. Charles Street to proceed to the regular route.
The Penn Station-Northbound stop #310 will be closed and a temporary stop will be located on North Avenue at Charles Street.