Heavy Traffic Volumes Expected Downtown Wednesday Morning for Firefighter Memorial Service
Tuesday Feb 1st, 2022
Downtown roadways will be significantly impacted by the memorial service; Road closures will be implemented and entrance ramps to the northbound Jones Falls Expressway will also be closed during the funeral procession
The Baltimore City Department of Transportation would like to advise motorists that downtown road closures, ramp closures along the northbound Jones Falls Expressway, and heavy traffic conditions will occur in the downtown area on Wednesday morning and early afternoon for the memorial service of three Baltimore City firefighters.
On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 heavy traffic conditions are expected in the downtown area from approximately 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., particularly in the vicinity of the Baltimore Convention Center. Areas expected to be the most severely impacted during these times include:
- Pratt Street between Sharp and President Streets
- Charles Street between Conway and Pratt Streets
- Sharp Street between Pratt and Conway Streets
- Conway Street between I-395 and Light Street
- President Street between Pratt Street and the Jones Falls Expressway
- Northbound Jones Falls Expressway between President Street and I-695 Beltway (including all entrance ramps)
To accommodate the service, the following traffic modifications will be implemented on Wednesday, February 2, 2022 throughout the morning/early afternoon (note that times are approximate):
- Closure of Camden Street between Paca and Howard Streets 5:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Closure of southbound S. Charles Street at Pratt Street starting at 6:00 a.m.
- Closure of northbound S. Charles Street at Conway Street starting at 12:30 p.m.
- Closure of westbound Conway Street at Light Street 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Right lane closure of eastbound Conway Street between I-395 to Sharp Street starting at 7:00 a.m. followed by a full closure of eastbound Conway Street at 12:30 p.m.
In addition, entrance ramps to the northbound Jones Falls Expressway will be closed to traffic during the funeral procession. Motorists will NOT be able to enter the northbound Jones Falls Expressway as the procession makes its way north from President Street to I-695 on Wednesday, which is anticipated to occur from approximately 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Throughout the morning/early afternoon on Wednesday, temporary traffic stops will be implemented in the vicinity of the Baltimore Convention Center, the downtown area, and the northbound Jones Falls Expressway (including all entrance ramps) as needed for the memorial service and funeral procession.
Motorists traveling downtown and along the northbound Jones Falls Expressway on Wednesday should plan ahead by allowing additional travel time and using alternate routes to avoid significant delays.