Traffic Modifications for the Kinetic Sculpture Race
Tuesday May 2nd, 2023
The Baltimore City Department of Transportation would like to advise motorists of the traffic modifications that will be implemented for the Kinetic Sculpture Race which will be held on Saturday, May 06, 2023.
The race will begin and end at the American Visionary Art Museum (AVAM) on Covington Street and kicks off at 9:30 a.m. Participants will run the 15-mile course through the Inner Harbor and surrounding neighborhoods at the approximate times listed below:
- 8:00 – 9:30 a.m. Safety check and brake test at AVAM
- 9:30 – 10:00 Opening Ceremonies & start from AVAM onto Key Highway
- 10:03 – 10:20 Climb Battery Avenue into Federal Hill Park
- 10:15 – 11:30 Race down Riverside, Fort, Lawrence, Key Highway, around the Inner Harbor, down President Street to Katyn Circle to Aliceanna & Boston Street
- 11:15 – 1:00 p.m. Water entry at Canton Waterfront Park
- 1:00 – 1:30 Race up Kenwood, right on Eastern, left on Linwood and into Patterson Park
- 1:15 – 3:15 Patterson Park Obstacle Course
- 3:30 – 4:45 Race down Lombard, Central, Eastern, Pier 5, Pratt, Light, Key Highway, Lawrence, Fort, Jackson, Clement and Covington to the finish line at AVAM (first racers may finish as early as 3:30)
- 4:00 – 6:00 Post-race recovery (dinner for racers & volunteers)
- 6:00 – 7:00 Awards Ceremony at AVAM
Race participants will leave the AVAM/Covington Street and will turn left onto Key Highway, left onto Battery Avenue, and left on Warren Avenue to enter Federal Hill Park, loop around the park, then exit the park making a right onto Warren Avenue. The race proceeds left on Riverside Avenue, left on Fort Avenue, left on Lawrence Street, then left onto Key Highway. Participants will then turn right onto Light Street, turn into bike lane at Science Center, then into Trolley lane to continue on Light Street, then right into the Pratt Street trolley lane. The course continues along Pratt Street, right on President Street, around the Katyn Memorial, right on Aliceanna Street, following Aliceanna to merge onto Boston Street. Participants will enter Canton Waterfront Park at East Avenue for a water launch, then exit the park at East Avenue, turning left on Boston Street, turn right on Kenwood Avenue, to right on Eastern Avenue, then left on Linwood Avenue to enter Patterson Park near the Dog Park. After negotiating the three obstacle courses in the park, racers will exit the park onto Lombard Street, left on Central Avenue, and right on Eastern Avenue, crossing President Street to Pier 5. The race continues left into bike lane on Pratt Street, left on Light Street, left on Key Highway, right on Lawrence Street, right on Fort Avenue, right on Jackson Street, left on Clement Street and right onto Covington Street to finish at the AVAM.
In preparation for the event, Covington Street will be closed to through traffic between Key Highway and Cross Street beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 4th through 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 6, 2023 with parking restrictions in effect.
In addition, during the race on Saturday, May 6th, one lane of travel will be coned off for participants along the race route wherever possible.
The following parking restriction will be implemented from 7:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 4th until 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 6, 2023:
- Covington Street from Key Highway to Cross Street
The following parking restrictions will be implemented on Saturday, May 6, 2023 from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.:
- South side of Key Highway from Battery Avenue to Covington Street
- South side of Key Highway from Williams Street to Light Street
- South side of Boston Street from Aliceanna Street to East Avenue
Motorists traveling in these areas should be advised that temporary traffic stops will be implemented during the event for the safety of participants. Transportation Enforcement Officers along with the Baltimore City Police will be stationed along the race route to help facilitate the movement of traffic. Drivers should expect delays during the event and are encouraged to use alternate routes.