Charm City Circulator
The backbone of any great city is transportation. The Charm City Circulator (CCC), a fleet of 24 free shuttles that travel four routes in the central business district of Baltimore City, Maryland. The Harbor Connector (HC) is an extension of the CCC and is the City’s free maritime transit service connecting 6 piers through four vessels.
The CCC consists of four separate routes—the Green Route which runs from City Hall to Fells Point to Johns Hopkins Hospital Campus, the Purple Route which runs from 33rd Street to Federal Hill, the Orange Route which runs from Hollins Market to Harbor East and the Banner Route which runs from the Inner Harbor to Fort McHenry.
We service residents, downtown employees, students and tourists and anyone else who wishes to ride. The shuttle is intended to reduce congestion and greenhouse gas pollution by offering a convenient, reliable and eco-friendly form of public transportation.
Reasons to Ride
Top 10 Reasons to Ride the Charm City Circulator
- FAST, FRIENDLY & FREE. Free is good. And, free is faster because you don’t have to waste time looking for change or waiting in line for other riders to pay a fare.
- CONVENIENT. Rides come every 15 to 20 minutes, every 20-25 minutes for the Banner Route. All you have to do is step on and go.
- COOL. Baltimore’s never seen a ride like this one. It’s sleek, comfortable, and green. With zero emissions up to 40% of the time, it will even help keep the planet cool.
- CONNECTED. The Charm City Circulator will take you to all there is to do in the heart of the city, like business meetings or a ball game. Or use it to connect between other forms of transit like Light Rail, MARC, the subway, even the Harbor Connector.
- CUSTOMERS ARE #1. Professional drivers are specially trained to make Your New Downtown Ride friendly, calm, and comfortable.
- CHILD FRIENDLY. The Charm City Circulator makes it easy and inexpensive to take the whole family to one of Downtown’s museums, parks, and attractions.
- CREATIVE USE OF TIME. Sit back and relax. Read the paper. Or get some extra work done. Anything’s possible when you don’t have to sit behind the wheel.
- CONVENTION COVERAGE. Visitors can get from their hotel to the Convention Center, then take it to museums, shopping, and the area’s best restaurants.
- COST EFFECTIVE. Even if you drive to a garage you can take the Charm City Circulator between appointments, eliminating the need to pay to park more than once.
- CAR SAVER. Downtown residents will no longer have to suffer the expense and hassle of owning (and parking) a car. The Charm City Circulator will get you where you need to go, whether it’s the grocery store, the office, or back from a night out with friends.
Charm City Circulator Fact Sheet
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF THE CIRCULATOR SERVICE?
- Limit air pollution
- Limit congestion growth
- Tie together growing communities
- Spread the use of the existing parking supply
THE SERVICE AT A GLANCE
- 4 Routes
- 15 to 20 minutes frequency (Banner Route - 20 to 25 minute frequency)
- 7 days a week
- Connects to less expensive parking on the fringes of downtown
- Connects to Amtrak, MARC, Light Rail, and Metro Subway
- Integrated with the Harbor Connector service
HOW IS IT FRIENDLY?
- Customers are #1
- Innovative hybrid buses are low emitting and environmentally friendly
- Free means that it is wallet-friendly, too
HOW IS IT DIFFERENT?
- Sustainable funding source
- Innovative hybrid buses
HOW WILL IT BE FAST?
- Traffic engineering improvements to help the bus move quickly along its route:
- Transit/bike lanes on Pratt and Lombard Streets give buses priority
- Queue jumping gives the bus a little head start at busy intersections by giving the bus an early green light
- Stop locations – placed further apart than the norm, allowing for faster travel
- Free means no fare box, so boarding is faster
THE CHARM CITY CIRCULATOR'S HARBOR CONNECTOR:
- Easy access to Maritime Park
- Three "ping-pong" routes: Maritime Park to Tide Point, Canton Waterfront Park to Tide Point and Harbor View to Harbor East
- Also free!
Service is every 15 to 20 minutes.
(Banner Route - 45 minute headways between the hours of 11:00am-3:00pm)
Year Round Operating Hours
Monday-Friday: 6:00am-11:00am & 2:30pm - 8:00pm
Please note: To accommodate all riders a one-loop maximum will be enforced by operators. Also, The Charm City Circulator is in operation every day except, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter or otherwise noted, such as in the event of inclement weather conditions. Periodically, due to local events or construction, detours/closures may be introduced to operational routes in an effort to continue service with the least amount of disruption. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for support and patience.
No Strand Policy
Riders present at any of the Circulator stops at the end of service hours, will be allowed to board and will be taken to their respective stop destinations on the same route. Service will not be provided to riders who arrive at stops after service hours.
From time to time during your trip on the Charm City Circulator, you may notice the bus makes an occasional unscheduled stop for a short period. No need to worry - this is what is known as a "Layover" and it's necessary to maintain headways and keep our operation on-time. Unlike most transit operations, the Charm City Circulator does not utilize timetables to drive schedules and/or arrival times; but rather, we use headways. As such, a layover is necessary to correct the timing of the bus on its specified route; especially if it's running too fast, to prevent "bunching" of buses. Additionally, it serves as a safety measure to ensure our operators receive enough rest so that they remain as alert as possible while operating the bus.
The following stops are temporarily closed.
Redwood Street (#303)
33rd Street- Medstar Union Memorial (#316)
Conway Street (#330)
Conway Street (#401)