Traffic Modifications for the Maryland Cycling Classic This Sunday, September 3rd
Wednesday Aug 30th, 2023
Motorists are urged to plan ahead and travel to the event during recommended hours before or after the race. All roads along the city circuit will be CLOSED TO TRAFFIC during the event with parking restrictions in effect.
BALTIMORE, MD (August 30, 2023) - The Baltimore City Department of Transportation would like to advise motorists of the road closures and parking restrictions that will be implemented for the 2023 Maryland Cycling Classic which will be held on Sunday, September 3, 2023. The 121.4-mile race will begin at 12:00 p.m. in Sparks, MD (Baltimore County) and will enter Baltimore City at approximately 3:15 p.m. with an estimated finish time of 5:00 p.m. along Pratt Street at Market Place. Visitors are encouraged to spectate this event and take advantage of public transportation including e-scooters and e-bikes to navigate the perimeters of the race.
The first portion of the race will be completed in Baltimore County. Cyclists will leave the county by traveling south along Falls Road into Baltimore City, which is expected to occur around 3:15 p.m. From Falls Road, participants will turn left on Lanvale Street to officially enter the ‘city circuit’ of the race. The race will proceed right on St. Paul Street, right on E. Lombard Street, left on Hopkins Plaza, left on E. Pratt Street, right on S. Central Avenue, left on Dock Street, left on S. Caroline Street, right on Fleet Street, left on S Broadway (cyclists left of median), left on E. Baltimore Street, right on N. Central Ave (cyclists left of median), left on E. Madison Street, left on Ensor Street/Hillen Road (cyclists stay right), right on Fallsway/Jones Falls Trail, left on E. Madison Street, right on N. Calvert Street, right on Federal Street, left on Barclay Street, left on E. Lafayette Avenue, left on St. Paul Street, right on E. Lombard Street, left on Hopkins Plaza, and left on E. Pratt Street, to finish at Market Place (closure map attached and live Waze detour navigation available).
During the event, cyclists will complete 4.5 laps around the 7.5-mile city circuit which will be CLOSED TO VEHICULAR TRAFFIC. Roadways along the city circuit will begin closing at approximately 1:30 p.m. and will be reopened as soon as possible after the race when all event-related activity is safely out of the streets.
Once the road closures are implemented, motorists will be rerouted to alternate routes as directed by the Baltimore City Police (BPD), Transportation Enforcement Officers (TEOs), directional signs and electronic message boards. Motorists should adhere to their direction and guidance for everyone’s safety.
Traffic stops will be implemented for the safety of participants, and motorists will encounter significant delays. Residents and visitors are encouraged to plan ahead for this event by using alternate routes and allowing additional travel time on Sunday.
Motorists are also urged to pay close attention to posted parking restrictions throughout the weekend, as parking restrictions will be implemented along the entire race route in Baltimore City. The majority of parking restrictions start at 5:00 a.m. on race day (Sunday), and vehicles parked in violation will be ticketed and relocated. Motorists with questions concerning the location of their vehicles should call 311.
In preparation for the Maryland Cycling Classic and associated events, the following road and lane closures will be implemented:
Lane closure on Friday, September 1st from approximately 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.:
- Linwood Avenue west side curb lane closure between E. Pratt Street and Eastern Avenue
Road closures from 5:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 2nd to 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 3rd:
- Market Place between Water Street and Pratt Street
- Pratt Street between Gay Street and President Street (lane closures on Saturday, full closure of Pratt Street begins at 5:00 a.m. on Sunday, then after the race two lanes will remain closed until 12:00 p.m. on Monday)
Road closures on Saturday, September 2nd from approximately 3:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.:
- Point Street between S. Central Avenue and Wills Street (both drives)
- Central Avenue between Point Street and Dock Street
- Wills Street between Point Street and Dock Street (curb lane closures only)
Road closures on Sunday, September 3rd from approximately 1:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.:
- Falls Road between Lake Avenue and St. Paul Street
- Lombard Street between Light Street and Hopkins Plaza
- Lombard Street between President Street and Gay Street
- St. Paul Street between Lafayette Avenue and W. Lombard Street
- Water Street between Market Place and S. Frederick Street
- Pratt Street between Hopkins Plaza and Central Avenue
- Central Avenue between Madison Street and Dock Street (segments)
- Dock Street between Central Avenue and S. Caroline Street
- Caroline Street between Dock Street and Fleet Street
- Fleet Street between S. Caroline Street and Broadway
- Broadway between E. Baltimore Street and Fleet Street (southbound only)
- Baltimore Street between E. Broadway and N. Central Avenue
- Madison Street between N. Central Avenue and N. Calvert Street (segments)
- Hillen Street between E. Madison Street and Fallsway
- Fallsway between Hillen Street and E. Madison Street
- Calvert Street between E. Madison Street and Federal Street
- Federal Street between N. Calvert Street and Barclay Street
- Barclay Street between Federal Street and Lafayette Avenue
- Lafayette Avenue between Barclay Street and St. Paul Street
In addition to the road closures, the following parking restrictions will be implemented for the event:
Parking restrictions from 5:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 2, 2023 to 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 3, 2023:
- Market Place (both sides) – Water to Pratt Streets
Parking restrictions on Sunday, September 3, 2023 from 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.:
- Falls Road (both sides) – E. Cold Spring Lane to 36th Street
- St. Paul Street (both sides) – E. Lafayette Avenue to Baltimore Street
- Light Street (both sides) – E. Baltimore to Lombard Streets
- Lombard Street (both sides) – Light Street to Hopkins Plaza
- Hopkins Plaza (west side) – W. Lombard to W. Pratt Streets
- Pratt Street (north side) – S. Gay Street to President Street (no parking in this area until 8:00 p.m.)
- Pratt Street (north side) – President Street to S. Central Avenue
- Central Avenue (both sides) – E. Pratt to Dock Street
- Dock Street (both sides) – S. Central Avenue to S. Caroline Street
- Caroline Street (both sides) – Dock to Fleet Streets
- Fleet Street (both sides) – S. Caroline Street to Broadway
- Broadway (both sides) – Fleet to E. Baltimore Streets
- Baltimore Street (both sides) – S. Broadway to S. Central Avenue
- Central Avenue (both sides) – E. Baltimore to E. Madison Streets
- Madison Street (both sides) – N. Central Avenue to Ensor Street
- Ensor Street (west side) – E. Madison to E. Monument Streets
- Hillen Street (both sides) – E. Monument Street to Fallsway
- Fallsway (both sides) – Hillen to E. Madison Streets
- Madison Street (both sides) – Fallsway to N. Calvert Street
- Calvert Street (both sides) – E. Madison to Federal Streets
- Federal Street (both sides) – N. Calvert to Barclay Streets
- Barclay Street (both sides) – Federal Street to E. Lafayette Avenue
- Lafayette Avenue (both sides) – Barclay to St. Paul Streets
- Falls Road (both sides) – Maryland Avenue to St. Paul Street
Residents should be advised that road closure and race impact times are approximate and may change on race day. Motorists should use caution and reduce speeds if traveling through and around the race circuit due to the increase in pedestrian, bicycle, and event traffic. Any emergency road closures or modifications along the city circuit race route will be updated on BCDOT's social media sites.
Charm City Circulator (CCC) patrons should be aware that CCC bus operations will be modified on race day. On Sunday, September 3, 2023, the following route modifications will be implemented from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.:
- The CCC’s Green Route will not be in operation during this time.
- The CCC’s Orange Route will operate on a modified route during this time. The route will begin at the B&O Museum, and will turn left on Poppleton Street, right on W. Baltimore Street, right on Greene Street, right on W. Lombard Street, right onto Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, left on W. Baltimore Street, left on Arlington Avenue, and left on W. Pratt Street back to the B&O Museum.
Patrons riding the CCC on race day may experience delays and longer than normal wait times. Additional information can be found on the CCC website.
Residents can visit the event website for additional information about the Maryland Cycling Classic.