Right of Way Services Division


The Right of Way Services Division does important things for our city's streets and sidewalks. They give out special permits for events like festivals, races, and concerts. They also give licenses to street vendors, like food trucks.

It also maintains real property databases, including Tax Maps (Block Plats) for the City, and sets property address numbers.

The Right of Way Services Division includes the following sections:


Special Events & Street Vendors

Special Events issues permits relating to events that are held in Baltimore City that include, but are not limited to:

  • Festivals
  • Block Parties
  • Races
  • Walk-a-thons
  • Concerts
  • Parades
  • Pub Crawls
  • Farmer's Markets
  • Demonstrations
  • Block Parties
  • Special Events
  • Horizontal Banners.

These events can be held in the public right-of-way, Baltimore City parks, and, on occasion, private property. Special event application forms can be viewed and downloaded from our Quick Forms section.  

You can reach Special Events at 410-396-1916 or by emailing SpecialEvents@BaltimoreCity.gov

Street Vendors issues licenses relating to Street and Mobile Vendors (including Food Trucks). Street Vendors are any person(s) that sell, distribute, or offer to sell or distribute food products, other merchandise of any kind, or services from:

  • a motor vehicle
  • animal-drawn wagon
  • bikes
  • handcarts
  • pushcarts

You can reach Street Vendors at 443-984-0005


Minor Privilege

Minor Privilege issues permits and provides guidelines for encroachments into the public right-of-way.

Minor Privileges range from semi-permanent items like:

  • signage
  • awnings
  • dumpsters
  • outdoor seating
  • underground vaults
  • bay windows.

You can reach Minor Privilege at 410-396-3346 or by emailing MinorPrivilege@BaltimoreCity.gov


Right of Way Permits

The Permit Section is responsible for issuing Temporary Use of Right of Way Permits, New Water Service Permits, and selling Plans/Specifications to bidders for City Capital Projects.

Permits are issued for:

  • Driveways
  • Curb Cuts
  • Curb Repairs
  • Access to Pull Wires
  • Cranes
  • Storage Containers
  • Street, Alley, or Lane Closures
  • Footway Permits
  • Hauling
  • Scaffolding
  • Dumpsters
  • Fences
  • Test Pits
  • Moving Trucks
  • Film & Media Equipment
  • Street/Utility Cuts.  

You can reach Right of Way at 410-396-4508 or by emailing Row.Permit.Documents@BaltimoreCity.gov


Land Conveyance

Land Conveyance is responsible for keeping records of City Rights of Way and Easements.

It also facilitates the acquisition of private property to widen city streets or install City utilities, assists developers with bringing utilities to their new developments within the City, and administers the Alley Gating and Greening Program.

You can reach Land Conveyance at 410-396-GATE (4283) or by emailing Alley.Gating@BaltimoreCity.gov

For Developers' Agreements, Franchise Agreements, Street Openings and Closings (permanent), and Vertical Banners, contact us at 410-396-5023 or 410-396-3667 or by emailing David.Framm@BaltimoreCity.gov


Property Location

Property Location is responsible for:

  • Creating, deleting, and modifying Real Property Tax Account numbers for all properties (public or private) within Baltimore City
  • Maintaining and revising Tax Maps (Block Plats)
  • Naming/renaming street names
  • Managing and maintaining accurate ownership records and mailing address information for all properties
  • Maintaining various City maps and records for City archives and public availability
  • Managing the GIS Parcel Layer and Street Centerline Layer
  • Fabricating Liquor Board License Maps
  • Managing Consolidation Applications
  • Operating Print Room functions
  • Reviewing E-Plans
  • Reviewing Site Plan Review Committee (SPRC) proposals
  • Reviewing Subdivisions
  • Reviewing Minor Privileges
  • Reviewing Right of Way Street Closings

For Property Consolidation, call 410-396-3800 or email Dawn.Flanary@BaltimoreCity.gov

For Real Property Inquiries, call 410-396-3634 or email PropertyLocation@BaltimoreCity.gov